What's even better? This is a super easy slow cooker recipe. This will cook all day long and be ready to eat by the time you get home from work. I would seriously love to thank who ever invented the crock pot.. It's a MUST-HAVE!!
This recipe is adapted from the wonderful "Skinny Taste" website. She has even more amazing fall recipes! Check out her site - www.skinnytaste.com :-)
- cooking spray
- 2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
- 2 cups organic, low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- Dallop of Greek Yogurt (for topping)
- shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (for topping)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
Add oil to the saute pan, then onions, garlic, sauté about 3 - 4 minutes; add cumin and sauté another minute. Add to crock pot.
Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chilis, broth, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste before serving.
Makes 8-9 servings.
(without the yogurt & cheese topping)
1 cup: 182.6 calories, 2.3g fat, 10.9g carbs, 23.3g protein